We need your help! This summer, we are starting a project that has been a dream of ours for many years now: A diverse french leveled readers book series. The year 2020 has been unlike any other and has brought so many changes that we can no longer keep this project only in our imagination.
As change happens, the tools we use to teach and educate our children must evolve. The purpose of our book series will be two-fold:
1. To provide an excellent French language learning resource for FSL students
2. To present stories that are diverse, inclusive and increase visibility for underrepresented communities
Representation matters. Research shows that students who are exposed to more diversity are more likely to achieve success in life, work, and as leaders. We envision a learning tool that reflects a fuller spectrum of stories from gender, race, physical ability, religion, age, family structures, culture, socioeconomic status, and more.
We also recognize that these are not our stories to tell, which is why we need your help! If this project resonates with you and you are interested in helping create a positive, inclusive, diverse educational tool, then we invite you to share your story with us.
What does your participation look like?
Step 1: Think of a story you would like to share, see questions below for some examples.
Step 2: Fill out this google survey with your information.
Step 3: If your story is selected, you will be contact by a Les Petites Pommes teacher to schedule a time to share your story.
Step 4: A 15-20 minute Zoom video call between you and a Les Petites Pommes teacher will be recorded and then sent to our book development team, to be converted into a story.
With their permission, all participants will be acknowledged in our book project and will have contributed to creating a diverse reading tool that will be used by students learning French!
Below are some examples of story topics to help you get started:
- Talk about a competitive experience
- Share a childhood memory
- Talk about a time you felt special
- Talk about your favourite hobby
- Talk about a great compliment you received
- Talk about a time you felt successful
- Talk about a time you faced a challenge
- Talk about your favourite sport
- How does music affect your life?
- Talk about a family tradition you enjoy
- Talk about your favourite dessert
- Give 3 reasons you like yourself
- Talk about your favourite childhood game
- How do you act when you want to avoid something?
- Tell about a time when you were teased
- Talk about a joyful time in your life
- Talk about taking risks
- Talk about an understanding person in your life
- When do you feel most peaceful?